It’s a natural impulse to compile retrospectives and resolutions around New Year’s. We look back on where we’ve been and ambitiously start charting where we want to go.
I almost never make resolutions– afraid I’ll fall far short of my visions of grandeur– but this year, with my 25th birthday rolling in shortly after the juicy-looking “2010.” I felt compelled to generate a modest but fairly ambitious list of things to do by the time I reach that quarter century. 25 things to do by 25.
Unlike most lists of this nature, these are all short-term goals– after all, I have only one week to complete them. My birthday is January 15, but I’m giving myself to the end of the long weekend, since I do share a birthday with the late great Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
So let me know if you can help me with any of these things, or if I can help you with your personal undertakings. I will be updating it as I go!
- teach someone something (thanks jessica!)
- visit an island (treasure island! thanks to wendy, lucy, & greg)
- unveil a new blog/website
- explore a place on foot
- cook a real meal
- get in front of the camera
- go on a solo road trip (ok, i changed it to duo road trip with @dangarr)
- learn a new song on the guitar (dream)
- have something published
- take ballet again (danspace)
- take a picture a day for a week
- write a snail mail letter
- have a beauty day (at estee lauder)
- assemble a brand new outfit from old clothes
- brainstorm a personal mission & vision or a slogan
- sell something i don’t need (thanks to mike for buying my berkeley panoramic!)
- submit an application to something (the new teacher program)
- provide an opportunity for someone else
- buy something using only coins ($1.57 for 7 prints at costco!)
- read a photography book
- get something printed (a photo, a poster, a book)
- rediscover archived photos
- plan a shoot (planning is underway with amazing floral designer ginger leaf florals!)
- send a thank you note
- strike up a new partnership (with jason lee of turtlist media!)
And because every blog post is better with a photo, here’s one from the archives. It’s from senior year at Duke, when I was observing the good ballet class. Hidden gem: if you look closely at the second girl from the right, you’ll see her big toe poking through her shoes.